Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Once In A Year


Ok, so...........there I was on a blustery Saturday night, relaxed alone in the cozy comfort of my home. Given a chance, I 've always opted for quiet birthday nights and this year was no exception. A surprise dinner celebration thrown in my honour the night before had more than sufficed. I have a lot of thoughts growing and moving inside my head tonight and will continue to finish a few pieces of future life-plans that seem to distance themselves yet-again from fruition. My own quiet vigil on this weekend night where even quiet spirits yearned to dance in celebration. I am in a good place emotionally and spiritually. Blessed. Truly.

I have been generating half-baked pieces of thoughts and for some reason I just couldn't get to the finish line with them. This piece began one day when I was feeling a little lonely. It created a source to dig deeper into that dark pit of loneliness, which I don't think I have truly felt myself, but have been privy to others sharing it with me.

The question I pondered........... how can I humanize the feeling? How can I capture its essence in a descriptive picture that others could relate to? After a great deal of thought about how to describe the real dark side of "lonely," the vision of an abandoned heart in a field covered in mist kept surfacing. A little beating heart lost in a fallow field. Once tended. Now, left.

Somewhere along the line, I was struck by the realization that the feeling of loneliness is the devil's best friend. We tend to succumb to our growling needs when we feel the most alone. Humans need love and belonging and if it isn't attained? We satisfy it by any means, despite our values. Despite our better judgement. Loneliness makes humans ripe for temptations.
 
Anyways, it wasn't loneliness to the bitter extreme, because technology made it impossible. The quietness of the cocoon to which was my home, was intermittently disrupted by the pings from my blackberry (thank you sms and facebook) with best wishes for my wellbeing from loved-ones. Temptation, I surrendered.
 


p/s ~ thank you all for the thoughtful and most kind wishes. Appreciated.







"Walk on a trail of loving kindness
Walk on a path of compassion
And all else around you will be beautiful."
Every Blessing

11 comments:

suituapui said...

One may be alone but may not be lonely...but happiness is meant to be shared and special occasions would be even more joyous when surrounded by loved ones. Hmmm....next year, fly over to Sibu. You'll have me for company and great food to celebrate. Cheers!!!

Ying Ying Dai Tao Har said...

happy belated birthday. many happy returns :)

Medie007 said...

happy belated birthday! :)

House of Ophelia, Kamtun said...

Dear Bro for a beautiful & well said piece. You make alot of sense in what you posted; couldnt agree more. God bless. Ophelia

House of Ophelia, Kamtun said...

Sorry I seem to have "eaten" the words, "Thank you" :)

Danny said...

happy belated birthday :)
stay vogiu always :))

mNhL said...

Happy belated birthday !

I'm trying to counts the candles but it was too difficult when you took the photo this angle. hmmm..... Anyway, age is just a number right. :)

lena said...

hi, happy belated birthday to you! love what you write.

William said...

Can't escape those candles each year... if you don't want candles, we can get you red eggs. :D

Gratitude said...

Thanks you all for your wishes (some are repeats too, double thanks? lolz) ;)

Suituapui, thank you so much for extending the invitation to me. Sibu will definitely be in my thoughts if ever the need to go somewhere near arises ;)

Danny, I'm definitely not vogue, and not aspiring to be too :P lolz

mNhL, never meant to be counted! :P lolz

Juanita & Lena, just writing my thoughts, Thank you so mich for your kind words :)

William, I'll hold you to the promise! :P

Alice Law said...

" Yes, I'm lonesome tonight~ and I miss u tonight"- Dodie Steven

You must hv missed someone on your Birthday night, caught ya, lol(jokingly)!

Hrm... guess I'm the total opposite. I actually wish to have some peace of mind, perhaps finish a whole book without any interruption frm the kids, lol! Right, I knw wht u mean...(imagining you were replying) better be content and treasure wht I hv now, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Keep well and all the best in the coming years!^^