Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Words that hurt



This afternoon, I decided to take a breather from the recent storms of worklife chaos that has plagued my very wellbeing which certainly did not augur well for my health. I took my seat at a comfortable side spot at a cafe and sighed, not in the usual stress-striken tone, but rather, more of a relief, happy that another tough chapter of client-politics had been won with not too much hassle. I ordered a tension-neutralizing chamomile, so unlike the usual harsh expresso that I usually gulp for that uplifting perk. Yup, it had been a real war this past month, something similar from a scene out of Sun Tzu's Art of War and although I have emerged physically unscathed, I couldn't say the same with my emotions; the war-of words that surely ensued from every battle-fought, and which often leaves us emotionally-drained. Or am I getting more emotionally fragile with age?

This thought led me to the saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

How very untrue.

Words thrown at us do affect us - especially negative words. They can hurt us for a long time, well, at least for me, more so when the slay-words come from people close to us. They tear down our confidence, linger and stir like a whirlpool in our soul and put a stopwatch to our heart centre. Many things can cause negativity - unhappiness, anger, resentment, depression, loss, jealousy, envy, fear, any emotional upheaval, etc.

Emotion to be, can best be described as energy-in-motion. That energy is looking for a place to go and depending on the emotion we attach to it, it will find it's mark whether negative or positive.

If we think before we speak, we are less likely to have a negative impact because we have neutralized the negative emotion. I always remembered my late-Dad having quoted a chinese saying which translated to "words once uttered could never be taken back". Thus, it became a mindful thought to me that when we take responsibility for our actions, we become aware of our words.

By becoming aware of what we think, say and do, we are aligning ourselves with our positive side.

As the saying goes, "A closed mouth gathers no feet."

However, there are times when stronger words need to be spoken to protect our wellbeing from being unduly harmed. We cannot brush off the fact that there are people with unbecoming attitudes who cross our paths once a while. I do feel it is best that we make our stand known that their actions have crossed our boundry of reasonability; not to tolerate their crass behaviors and say our goodbyes.

Still, a sincere apology for words wrongly blabbed often leads to a good start to the recovery of possible relationship or friendship-lost for the wrongdoing(s) committed. Why sincere, you may ask? I refer to a recent quote posted by many in facebook which read as, " Apologizing : doesn't mean that you're wrong and the other person is right, it just means you value your relationship more than your ego", which although to a certain extent sounded positive, was also propagating insincerity. Does it mean that if we did not value the particular relationship, then it was alright not to apologize?

And yes, we could all agree that words spoken would be hard forgotten, we humans could have the minds of elephants, but I truly believe that the manner of regret would determine the depth of healing that takes place. It is on the basis of "to err is human, to forgive divine" that we could further allow the seal of heal.

We're struggling sentient beings chasing the wish of happiness after all. We could surely do with less negative emotional baggage trudging along the path we call life. Meantime, I'll endeavour to carry myself along the good path. Every single little positive step goes a long way to lead us towards the path of healing.

Meanwhile, my chamomile imbibes delight to my senses with its gentle aroma.

Life could only get better.








"Walk on a trail of loving kindness
Walk on a path of compassion
And all else around you will be beautiful."
Every Blessing

16 comments:

A Mature Student said...

If we sit back and weigh out the purpose of the unnecessary hurting words from the other party, we tend to feel better because most of the time, the evaluation I end up with is that they are either jealous or insecure. I find then it is so much easier to just ignore them and get on with with life.

Hope the camomile tea helped.

Take care.

ilene said...

Beautifully written! Well said. I confess, there are times where I really regret the words that came out from my mouth especially when anger got the better of me. When consumed with so much hatred and anger, the mouth just blabber off without a care on how it's going to hurt the receiving end and I wish I could retract but then it was too late. With ego on my side, I didn't want to show that I have done wrong and thereby stormed off without an apology.

But now as I age I think I have better control of my hormones! Well, maybe not 100% but at least I try to hold onto my tongue and count to 10 before lashing out! It's hard at times but I believe if one does not have nice words to say, then it's best to keep silent.

Reanaclaire said...

My pastor always remind us to mind our mouth, the words that come out... let them not be negative and discouraging but to put them in a more diplomatic way... i guess we have a lot to learn about the way we talk.. i tend to be very blunt at times.. i need to think first before i open my mouth..

Alice Law said...

I'm still in the midst of practicing see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil... I reckon it's easier for me to forgive thn for me to forget, after all wht had happened can't be undone... even the wound healed, still it leave scars.:)

William said...

I once read a concept in Japanese swordsmanship where someone who projects 'nothingness', will only have his attackers cut themselves in the process.

Anonymous said...

Very heavy stuff... Old people like me don't care much, we just move on. Not much time left to waste on things that offend or hurt or irritate us.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Its only WORDS and time will heal. Have to constantly block them never to allow a crack in the skull for them to go through. Dad's absolutely right, one word out from the mouth even 4 horses couldn't chase it back. Its like an arrow once you shoot it out can hardly retrieve it back. Gotta be mindful.

Medie007 said...

well. hopefully it's a lesson learnt for everyone.

House of Ophelia, Kamtun said...

I always believe that it is never easy when one is on the receiving end of hurtful words; worse still if the daily tirade delivered to you were uncalled for and I agree with you when you say that the saying "Sticks & stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is untrue. Sometimes they hurt much, too much that even after 36 years, one can still reek from the pain of daily verbal abuse. One can learn to forgive and to try to understand but one can Never ever forget and the impact of such innocent abuse can still be felt even with the passage of time & the only way to get past it is to pray fervently to God for Him to give one the grace to forgive the other! Never really easy but with God in our corner, we will get past that. From all yr post on yr late dad, I gather that he was and still is your focal point. Your love for such a loving, good and wise man is very apparent and I m sure that you and your siblings have made both him and your mum proud of your achievements and may he rest in the peace of the Lord and though he may be gone from this earth, he lives in your heart. Keep that Love in your heart alive and know that he loves and watches over all of you. God bless.

the viennamese said...

Yep, I never believed that words never hurt. Cuz they do!

Sticks and stones may break bones, but words may destroy one's soul.

ladyviral said...

yes.. words do hurt us.. the worse is when it loops in our head over and over and over again.

but... guess it is how everyone see those words thrown at us. don't let it get to you. let it be a positive remark instead of negative. look at the glass half full not half empty.

things will be better. of course easier said than done, takes time for us to learn and master it. i am learning still.. very hard at it too. lets learn together :).

Lee said...

Hi Gratitude, noticed your callsign over at Alice's place and busybody over. Love your eloquence.
I guess life can have its hiccups, and we do have to take a step back sometimes, to smell the flowers, so to speak.
You stay easy and have a great week.
Best regards.
Lee.

Alice Law said...

My boy put on weight kar?*(shrugged )I'm not sure leh, gonna put him on the scale and weigh 1st thing in the morning, lol!;-)

[SK] said...

well, words do hurt but it really depends on how you take it, your EQ has to be strong enough to make the full motivation out of those negative words i would say.. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jiawen said...

Wow...it surely made me check myself while reading this post. Too often, words said in anger and frustration to the kids in school are returned with looks of hurt and anger. Wonder if they are scarred by my words?