grants forgiveness of past mistakes,motivates our present being, and provides hope for our future.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
It's Toxic!
When most people enter a friendship/relationship, all seem to appear well. Nothing seems to be toxic nor do we expect it to be one. During the honeymoon period, for the most part everyone plays nicely together, they even participate in each other’s events of life that they normally would have no interest or desire to be part of, however they do it for the other person in the name of camaraderie. During this time, there is a newness of discovery, romantic love is in the air (for new relationships), rose-coloured glasses are donned and we even tend to overlook or brush off what otherwise would be red flags that there could be problems with this becoming a long term loving, positive relationship. We tend to see and believe what we want to see and believe about the other person and our relationship. Some people even consciously act differently, wear a mask of sorts, knowing that once they have the other person hooked they will slowly reveal their true self.
Most toxic relationships start out great, everything on the surface seems great, however as time passes, like the brewing of poisonous leaves, the heat begins to be slowly change the taste and colour of the water from what appeared to be pleasing water into a toxic one where over time we consume and choke on the toxicity when consumed. Likewise in relationships, we start as the loving souls that we are, nourishing the relationship with great care; meanwhile unaware of the toxic events that are looming in the near distance. Yet, people, even when they realize that they are in a toxic relationship often stay in the relationship and hang on for years. Sounds familiar? Sounds illogical?
There are many reasons people stay in a toxic relationship is the general loving nature of many humans, always the forgiving one. After all, we are constantly bombarded with so many good teachings that remind us to be forgiving, to be compassionate. "To err is human, to forgive divine!"
Another big reason is the person who wants out of the toxic relationship may have to deal with the guilt of being termed the judgemental, emotional one, instead of realizing that in the end, a clear clean cut would be in the best interest of both parties, owing to the clash of characters, beliefs and thoughts.
If we are in what we believe to be a toxic relationship, I strongly feel we should take time out and become the observer, step outside ourselves and observe what is going on within the context of our relationship. As we observe, begin to ask ourselves some questions and provide with honest, heartfelt answers, questions such as:
- Knowing what I know, if I observed my friend in this type of relationship what would I advise that person to do?
- What responsibility do I take in the toxicity of this relationship?
- If I changed by perspective and relative behavior could I help to neutralize the toxicity and improve this relationship?
- Should I remove myself from this relationship?
- Is this relationship slowly killing all of my spirit of trust in friendships?
- Do I define who I am, or am I allowing the other person to define me?
- What are my options?
- What doors or windows are available to me?
- Who could I reach out to for help?
Know that we always have options, that no one is truly stuck. Even in the darkest of hours, there are always alternatives.
Taking the position of the observer should help us gain a clear perspective on the reality of our relationship.
For new relationships, there is a thin line between analyzing everything to death and being aware of obvious red flags. We must be aware of red flags, not only for our spiritual health, but also for the spiritual health of the person we are in the relationship with. Being aware of red flags does not mean we have to analyze the every aspect out of our relationship and fret over every detail, it simply means that we must be aware, keeping our eyes open and not getting totally lost in the emotions of a new relationship. Caring too much by either side just suffocates either or both parties.
By the way ~ I feel certain relationships ie renewed friendships with ex-lovers, people who are generally pessimistic with life and selfish narcissists are best tagged with blood red flags, for the risks of failure is just too great, far from being successful and mutually gratifying. We should remember that loving someone and still choose not to be with them is acceptable. I hear many people say, “I stay because I because I love him/her”. If the relationship is toxic and therefore unhealthy and we cannot find away to remove the toxicity from the relationship, know that we can still love a person and make a decision to not be with them; in the meantime, wishing them well. There are also some instances that we could not love anymore due to the intensity of whatever misfortune shared, thus we should feel relieved and have no remorse for the end of relationship. After all, the process of letting go ultimately leads to healing, right?
I wish you well.
"Walk on a trail of loving kindness
Walk on a path of compassion
And all else around you will be beautiful."
Every Blessing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

33 comments:
Can I sing Britney's song now?
well, relationship is a very confusing and blinding thing.. i guess you won't be so rational when you fall into the stages you now clearly analysing.. :p
Wow what great timing you posted this article. My best friend is agonizing over whether or not to end her 2 year relationship with her boyfriend. I just talked to her yesterday and she sounded confident to open a new chapter in her life but then again she was like this on and off for awhile. In any relationship whether friendship or romantic, the hardest thing about letting go, in my opinion, is knowing that you won't have that person as part of your life anymore. You miss the routine with that other person because you've become used to life a certain way and when you don't have that routine, you feel lonely or at uncomfortable. I guess the word I'm searching for is "attachment". Detaching from something you are so used to is hard, however toxic the relationship is.
Thanks for the great ideas you commented on my blog yesterday. Just one thing though, I don't hills to escape to :) nor am I a runner or swimmer. If only you knew how I unathletic I was in middle and high school. On second thought, I think I'm going make the point of learning to swim and jog regularly to get my athleticism going.
every part of a relationship helps u see urself clearly...at least it does for me hehehe
yes, absolutely true.. we need to forgive and then our hearts are at peace...
I have read a book that says fear is the opposite of love. A true love would not have fear. Fear is what will cause the toxicity in the relationship. Whatever their fear, insecurities or worries may be is what causes problems and suffering in a relationship.
I personally think every relationship is a risk=toxic. It is how we formulate the right antidote will keep the relationship surviving. And for the rs to grow needs the right nutrients! I am still a little bear trying to discover the right antidote & nutrients though... hahaha!
Those ppl who wants to stay have a nice complex.. They don't want to hurt others so they keep quiet about it.
Most of them have either a bad childhood or are sub-consciously being trained that being nice is a good thing.
Toxic relationships are rampant :) Just gotta stay clear from them if we can.
Let me re-read this again tonight, when my head is clearer. I haven't been sleeping. Up almost 20 hours...migraine killin me (tis sux, I know)
I left you a long respond in my blog, Gartitude... hope you'll read it. LOL...
relationship thingy is a complicated thing. any kind of relationship =.~
Er...are you OK, Anthony?
*sigh* TOXIC is "exciting" right?
like smoking or drinking or even taking drugs.
I am just blessed that I got myself out of ex marriage which literally almost KILL ME!lol
hugs,
shakira
IMHO, like a cancer, it has different stages. Some realize it soon enough to be saved, while the rest aren't so fortunate. What's different is that ultimately, I believe that we have the choice, or rather the decision, to rectify the problem immediately and run as far as we can, or wait a bit and let it scar us deeply, or leave it be and let it completely destroy our mind. It's our life, and the ball's always in our court; so there's no blaming others.
Things may not make sense nor may we understand it when we're standing so close to it. It's like standing right in front of the screen in the cinema. We can never know what's going on. That's why, we have to take a step back and look at the whole blooming picture!
and the war goes on,.
so r u in a toxic relationship with anybody? dont start the bitch-fight ok? lolz~
relationships are complicated at times.. i wonder how many definitions are made towards the words "love" and "relationship"
for me, it should be a sweet thing but getting rough may be inevitable..
after all, it's important that both parties give and take, tolerate, understand and trust each other well =)
kenwooi.com
Me and my dear are crossing our pinky fingers, adding more oil and trying almost everyday to have our detoxifying activities :P
I'm in a toxic relationship. Badly poisoned, and there's no anti-venom in the world that can cure it. And why do I choose to stay in a toxic relationship? I fear sorrow and emptiness ( and yeah... I'll be missing having sex too). And not to mention the hurt and the pain that comes together with letting go. I guess, Rose Belle had described what I wanna describe.
Sorry for the late comment... I was so blur the other day. Couldn't really comprehend what you're writing about. LMAO.
Once you find out the source of toxicity, then comes the hard part. What can you do about it? What do you want to do about it?
And another thing, what will you do about others who may be affected?
Difficult kan? :)
hmm... hmmmm... quite deep, kinda agree what cleffairy said. AHAHAHAHAH..
ok.. ok.. wait.. i re-read again har.. english teacher.. HAHAHAHA
......
=.="...
AHAHAHAHA.. why william wants to sing Britney songs.. oh.. i know why now.. wtf..
.......
hmmm.. both parties must tolerate a bit b4 change the relationship to toxic one.. ahahaha.. i am very very very cincai person i know in the world, and veryyy forgiving also, so wont change to toxic gua, crap, forget about the king kong case.. =.=".. lalala.. just dont suffocate me with cheap perfume/refresher/hot aircon, AHAHAHAHA.. then ok already.. but the "kong kong" and I are back to friends already, so not toxic anymore gua.. =.="
William@ LOLZ I somehow expected you to comment that! :P
SK@ true true. We wont really know when we are in the position. But nonetheless, it is better to be at least aware and a lil more prepared. :)
Rose@ pray your best friend finds the best possible way to deal with it. :)
Manglish@ agreed. Every bad experienced cld be turned into good lessons. :)
Claire@ it's difficult, but we have to try. Thanks. :)
Bear@ very good sharing. Thanks and wish you well. :)
Ichi@ yup, very much a part of our culture. Peeps are too afraid to speak up and be counted.
Savante@ the latest incident has reinforced my decision to steer clear of difficult people. I've even been termed a hypocrite for trying to mend fences. Red flags have sprung up more. Pill poppers are defintely a restricted zone now lolz!
Shane@ agreed. I'm sure most of us are affected in some way. :)
Shakira@ I'm doing well, thanks so much and I'm so happy for you. :)
Evann@ so true, a malignant cancer. Thank heavens the latest one is still at stage 2. I dah buang tumour busuk from Puchong and Sentul. LOLZ
Takashi and L2 @ no war. I love peace. Just needed to remove the stinkin' tumour, that's all! :)
Kenwooi@ sometimes, even patience has its limits. Hopefully, more of us would learn to know when to stop the rot and move on to greener pastures. :)
Pikey@ I wish the both of you well. :)
fairy@ I really hope you'll be able to find peace and a better life. We will never be down forever, trust me. I wish you peace, I wish you joy in life! :)
Janvier@ So true, it is really hard. These are times when support from loved-ones really count to guide us to a better solution. I tried to do it to a friend, but it backfired. But then again, I had to understand that he needs professional help and medication. I was not qualified.
Donna@ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
You didnt tell us that you were ok with King Kong liao. Glad to hear. having enemies at the workplace can be so stressful since we are forced to meet everyday.
@Donna... I've been blatantly, shamelessly honest. LOL... and I usually get into trouble because of my honest statements. *haizzz* Life is so hard. You're honest, you'll get into trouble. You lie, then you'll get into trouble too.
@Gratitude...omg, brader, you almost made me cry with your sweet, good wishes. And you're probably the only one in blogosphere that called me fairy. Ahahaha... others doesn't seems to think that I'm fit enough to be called that. Cheers, and have a blessed weekend. :-D
wah, the guru speaks! :D
well i definitely agree with you, all relationships start out as sweetie lovey dovey at first, really, all of them. once you dig deeper and get off the honeymoon period the problems will start arising, one by one, and one will start blaming the other for "changing". the fact is nothing has changed, you just haven't seen the true colors, until now, lol.
i agree, if it's verified toxic, just get the hell away from it!
I can definitely relate to what it's like being in a toxic relationship. You know, I always said to myself that if a guy ever treated me wrongly or ever laid his hands on me, I would walk out the door.
But when you're in this kind of relationship, it usually takes a long time to realize that it isn't healthy to be with that person anymore.
It took my gf a few months to convince me that it was just wrong for my ex to hit me... coz I was so consumed by all his toxic crap. I was always hoping that he'd change...
despite all the analysis made, there is still no right or wrong in love... is there? or maybe i've just not fallen in luv enough times to understand...
forgiveness is the most beautiful thing to do,
but it is the hardest thing to accomplish.
Elegant post,
Awesome thinking.
the skill to identify red flags and to pull oneself out from toxic is vital for one's sanity.. But its only from experience that we learn to do both, right?
Observer can spot out the problem rather that the actor.
very hard to control it!
Fairy@ I'd rather be honest :) But then again, being brutally honest is a danger zone to be in.
Conan@ far from being a Guru lolz! My later post will explain what a klutz i am! hehe
Lydd@ I'm glad you awoke from the toxic slumber and moved on well with life. YAY! ^_^
Lucas@ there is a wrong in love, that is, when u allow yourself to be abused in the name of love.
Jingle@ hey, thanks. Agreed with you that forgiving is a very difficult thing to do indeed. But still, we have to try.
Blue@ agrred. Practise does make us better prepared. We may still make the same mistake, but i feel the risk is much lesser. :)
CH Voon@ true indeed that it is tough, but then again, we ought to give ourselves a chance to be at least aware that there are ways to identify and remedy, and hope it's not too late. :)
Post a Comment