Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson 1958-2009


Michael Jackson, the sensationally gifted child star who rose to become the “King of Pop” and the biggest celebrity in the world only to fall from his throne in a freakish series of scandals, died Thursday. He was 50.

Jackson died at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles. Ed Winter, the assistant chief coroner for Los Angeles County, confirmed his office had been notified of the death and would handle the investigation.

The circumstances of Jackson’s death were not immediately clear. Jackson was not breathing when Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics responded to a call at his Los Angeles home about 12:30 p.m., Capt. Steve Ruda told the Los Angeles Times. The paramedics performed CPR and took him to the hospital, Ruda told the newspaper.

Source : Associated Press June 25th 2009.

I felt a loss today, as with many of you, I'm sure.

Another fallen child star, his life as a boy entertainer who became the music industry's most celebrated singer in the 80s and 90s will surely go down in history as an icon together with the likes of the Beatles and Elvis.

His musical genius was astounding
His demise was astounding
His death is a shock
His music lives on .....

I will never forget watching his absolute performance mastery when I attended his concert here in KL (Merdeka Stadium) when MJ toured Asia in the late 90s. Hell, never have I dreamt of doing celebrity gagas but even I, stalked Concord Hotel where he was staying. I truly believe him to be The Greatest Pop Star. However, his actions forced him into early retirement, and subsequent tries of re-entry into the music scene were less successful, most probably worn out by the scandals that dogged him. I will always remember how he rocked the world with "The Thriller" video, a pioneer in MTV video then at its infancy. And not forgetting his "moonwalking". Who could ever forget those songs "Beat It", "Heal The World", "Man In The Mirror", "Billy Jean" but funnily enough, the song that I will most remember him for is "Ben", followed closely by "Heal The World". He certainly paved the way for so many artists after him.

You are at peace now, MJ, wherever you are. Only fond memories filled with your music occupy my head now. You were not perfect, who is? If souls could have a wish they could fulfill, I'm sure yours would be to dance on the moon. My thoughts and prayers to your children, family and fans. Hopefully the press, paparazzi and others will only speak fondly of you and allow your children the respect and dignity that their father truly deserved.


"Heal the world, make it a better place
For you and for me and for the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough for the living
Make a better place for you and for me"

22 comments:

William said...

Hence passes a part someone I had grown up with... For some reason, my favourite MV was "Do You Remember The Time".

[SK] said...

may the legend king of pop rest in peace..

3quarks said...

when i first heard about it, i thought it can't be... may he rest in peace. i've always like 'wanna be starting something'.

Twilight Zone said...

Wanna hear an MJ secret? He prayed to the Green Tara in his past life.

.:: Ant ::. said...

William ~ Yup, as a matter of fact, we lost 2 peeps on the same day. May Farrah Fawcett's sould be blessed too!

SK ~ aye to that!

3quarks ~ i'll say "yeah, yeah" to that song too.

Twilight ~ what a revelation! I'll get the details from you soon.

+Ant+

LEon said...

His song was my teenage songs...You are right, his songs live on.

A Common Singaporean said...

This piece of news is the first sms i received this morning. He is indeed a legend.

Takashi said...

my ipod died, my phone battery low.. all because i am avoiding each freaking radio..!

foongpc said...

Definitely a sad day for all Michael Jackson's fans though his death was not as shocking to me as Princess Diana's death.

I like his songs "Heal The World" too - very inspiring song! : )

Mannpriedo d'Saintner said...

I pray to the Lord that he will be blessed in the Kingdom of God. May he rest in peace. I miss him too.

Jerry said...

Its funny and Ironic like how people go say, RIP MJ, OMG MJ died!!

Then radio go broadcast all his songs.. And when he is alive, people like don even bother because its like classic lol...

Older generation like us might know who is he, but younger generation is like, who the hell and what the shit so amazing about him lol... ALl they know about is his gay scandal...

Nvm , may MJ rest in peace...

the happy go lucky one said...

may he rest in peace.

twilight: sure not? i also pray to green tara alot, but definitely nothing to do with the fame :P

.:: Ant ::. said...

Leon ~ yup, mine too. :)

Common ~ it sux to get a lousy news early in the morn right? I shudder when the phone rings at odd hours.

Takashi ~ I love ALL his songs. And it was nice to hear all the great singers who sang his songs too. :)

Foong ~ I remember Diana's death coz I had just returned from Paris and London a few days before the tragedy. I even went thru the same tunnel where her car crashed about 2 weeks earlier.

Saint ~ yup, we'll all miss him for his quirkiness but most of all, his musical genius.

Jerry ~ the young ones will get to know his songs these few days since all radio stations would play the songs. :)

Happy ~ Om Tare Tutarre Tute Svaha. :)

+Ant+

Perky said...

MJ's death took a day to really sink in. As a child of the 80's, MJ was Pop God. I was really looking forward to his upcoming performances. It would've been nice to see him perform for what was going to be his curtain call.

But at least now, he's at peace and is in a place where the media and the nasty jokes can't get to him anymore.

Bengbeng said...

Hey Anton, u r on mylongkang's wall of fame or is it walk of fame... i will post it this evening :)

Medie007 said...

am still trying to relate how you worship him back in the 80s as to how i worship something now.

maybe the death of the internet one day?

.:: Ant ::. said...

Perky ~ we share the same sentiments!

Beng ~ Ow....looking forward to see wot's in store! ^_^

Medie ~ it's not the same. :P

+Ant+

eden said...

I always love his songs. He was one of the greatest entertainer. May he rest in peace.

thank you for your comment to my post. I really appreciate it.

simonlover said...

Well, i was too young to attend his concert bk in'96...However, i rmbr bk in the 80's, i used get scared of MJ's Thriller video and usually i'll hide behind my grandpa's lazy chair.. =P

.:: Ant ::. said...

Eden ~ You're most welcome, fyi I only go into interesting blogs *winks* ^_^

Simon ~ yup, i think even adults felt squimish when they saw it for the 1st time, coz it wuz unexpected, esp when the gf looked at Micheal and saw that he had alos turned into a zombie.

+Ant+

K|E|E|N|Y|E|E said...

Grandma know about MJ's past life? Wow...interesting. Anyhow, MJ is always a legend...

LimPek said...

he is very capable..really miss him